Land Line Now, March 16, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Congress may try a truck-only VMT – or vehicle miles traveled tax – to fill the highway trust fund. And that is not sitting well with OOIDA.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
OOIDA urges Congress to say no to truck-only travel tax. Diesel hits its highest average since 2018. And a cyclist nearly gets “rammed” off the road.
II. Straight talk on COVID-19 vaccinations
Truckers have been asking about when, where and how they can get a COVID-19 vaccination. But there isn’t just one vaccine, and each has advantages and disadvantages. We’ll offer up some insights and advice.
III. Towing reform moving forward
A Missouri effort to protect truckers from nonconsensual towing is gaining steam. OOIDA’s Lewie Pugh and Mike Matousek were in Jefferson City last week to support it. We’ll report on the bill’s chances and what it would mean if it becomes law.
IV. Truck-only VMT a no-go for OOIDA
Talk in our nation’s capital is that Congress is contemplating a truck-only vehicle miles traveled tax to help balance the highway trust fund. And that is not sitting well with OOIDA.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Jackson, Miss. That’s at Exit 45 off Interstates 20 and 55. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also is giving away free protective masks.
- Find out more about Occupational Health Systems here.
- You can find out more about the St. Christopher Truckers Relief Fund here.
- Read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.