LLN (9/12/18) – When it comes to replacing your truck tires, do you go new vs. retread? Also, Hurricane Florence could soon affect freight. And Congress has started preliminary work on a transportation appropriations bill.
- Love’s Travel Stops has announced the opening of two new stores located in Bastian, Va. and Tipton, Ind. Love’s says it has increased fuel and food deliveries to try and keep stores stocked as people are evacuating ahead of Hurricane Florence. The company says it is monitoring the path of Hurricane Florence for stores which might be in harm’s way and will post store closings online at loves.com/hurricane.
- Starting Tuesday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s Tour Truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in Beto Junction, Kan. That’s located at Exit 155 on Interstate 35. Stop in, say hi to Jon, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount. See the full Spirit Schedule.
Buying tires is one of the biggest decisions you can make when it comes to your truck. So when it comes time to replace them, do you go new or retread? Terry Scruton talks about the pros and cons of both with Phil Boarts, Bill Walmsley and Michael Burroughs from Michelin Truck Tires.
- You can find out more at michelintruck.com.
All eyes are on Hurricane Florence as it heads for the East Coast. Terry Scruton takes a look at how that could affect freight and rates with Peggy Dorf of DAT on Market Update. And diesel prices are up this week, but only slightly. We’ll take a look at how the hurricane could affect those as well.
- Visit the DAT website.
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417.
- Be sure to check out their blog.
- Chat with them on Twitter.
- And find out more on the OOIDA Members Edge website.
- You can call OOIDA Members Edge at 866-487-8253.
- Here is this week’s price report by Land Line Magazine, Diesel prices rise slightly compared to a week ago; two regions see declines.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles.
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator.
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android Smartphones, click here.
- Read more about Hurricane Florence from Land Line Magazine:
- FLORENCE UPDATE: Landfall expected midday Friday; dangerous flooding likely.
- FMCSA postpones HOS listening session due to Hurricane Florence.
- DAT SOLUTIONS: Spot rates rise ahead of Hurricane Florence.
- FLORENCE UPDATE: Kentucky and Tennessee added to FMCSA exemption.
- Evacuation routes activated in preparation for Hurricane Florence.
- ‘Extremely dangerous’ Hurricane Florence expected to hit Carolinas on Thursday.
The House and the Senate have begun preliminary work on a transportation appropriations bill that must be passed by the end of the month and could contain several items important to truckers. Terry Scruton finds out more from Collin Long of OOIDA’s Washington, DC, office.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121;
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.