LLN (5/30/19) – Ticket cameras are coming to Pennsylvania and Connecticut, but being discouraged in Ohio and possibly banned in Texas. Also, the FMCSA lays out a road map for regulatory action over the next few months, including hours of service, automated vehicles, driver training and more. Meanwhile, a Homeland Security advisory about Chinese-manufactured drones has implications for automated trucks. We’ll have information about upcoming truck shows. And a logistics company with a concerning claim about ELDs.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:43 – Future FMCSA regulatory action
24:43-39:38 – Traffic cameras; truck shows
39:38-49:22 – Drones and automated trucks; ELD claim sparks concerns
- Frank S. Nathanson of Manalapan, N.J., has been recognized by the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association for 16 years of safe, accident-free driving as part of the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program. Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program. And you can read about our latest batch of safe drivers here: OOIDA recognizes drivers for safe driving records.
- A number of roads are closed in Missouri due to high waters, including Interstate 29, which is closed north of St. Joseph at mile marker 57. Detours for I-29 are:
- Kansas City area thru traffic – use I-35 to Iowa
- Joseph area thru traffic – use U.S. 71 north
- Local traffic is able to utilize I-29 to reach their homes and businesses by either going north on U.S. 71 and west on U.S. 59 or northbound I-229 to northbound I-29.
- Also, U.S. 36 between Missouri 13 at Hamilton and Missouri 5 west of Brookfield is closed. Detours for U.S. 36 are:
- The Eastbound detour is I-35 north to U.S. 136 and then east onto U.S. 63 south.
- The Westbound detour is U.S. 63 north to U.S. 136 west to I-35 south.
- You can find all road closures on the MoDOT website.
The FMCSA has laid out a road map of what it intends to do for the next few months in terms of regulations, including hours of service, automated vehicles, driver training and more. Mark Reddig talks with Jay Grimes of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- If you have questions you would like answered you can call our Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
- Read more:
Ticket cameras are coming to Pennsylvania and Connecticut, but being discouraged in Ohio and possibly banned in Texas. Mary McKenna gets an update from our state legislative expert, Keith Goble.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, Ticket camera rule changes approved, near passage in six states.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit the OOIDA Legislative page.
Mary and Mark Reddig will have information about upcoming truck shows on the Land Line Now Industry Calendar (Look below for a listing of all truck shows).
A recent Homeland Security advisory about Chinese-manufactured drone systems could have implications for the push toward automated trucks. Mark Reddig discusses that – plus a logistics company with a concerning claim about ELDs – with OOIDA Director of Safety and Security Operations Doug Morris.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- 30-June 2 Wheel Jam Truck Showin Huron, S.D. For more information, go to WheelJamTruckShow.com or call 605-354-2809.
- 31-June 2 Memory Lane Car & Truck Showat the Sauk County Fairgrounds in Baraboo, Wis. For more information, visit SaukCountyFair.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608-963-8849.
- 31-June 2 ATHS Convention and Truck Showat the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, Nev. For more info, visit ATHS.org/2019Convention
- 7-8 Joplin Truckers Jamboreeat the Joplin 44 Petro in Joplin, Mo. For more information, go to Joplin44.com.
- 8-9Texas Trucking Show, NRG Center, Houston. For more information, visit TexasTruckingShow.com.
- 14-15 Oak Grove Truckers Jamboreeat the Oak Grove 70 Petro in Oak Grove, Mo. For more information, go to OakGrovePetro.com.
- 15-16 Ohio Vintage Truck Jamboreein Ashland, Ohio. Go to ohvintrkjam.com for information.
- 21-23 Great Lakes Truck Show, Cabela’s in Dundee, Mich. For more information, visit GreatLakesTruckShow.org.
- 29 – Belvidere Heritage Daystruck show, Belvidere, Ill. For more information, visit facebook.com/belvidereheritagedays/.
- 11-1340th anniversary Walcott Truckers Jamboree, Iowa 80 Truckstop, Walcott, Iowa. For more information, visit Iowa80TruckStop.com.
- 19-20 Gulf Coast Big Rig Truck Show, Mississippi Coast Convention Center, Biloxi, Miss. For more information, visit GulfCoastBirRigTruckShow.com.
- 19-20 Expedite Expoat the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne, Ind. For more information, visit ExpediteExpo.com or Facebook.com/expediteexpo/.
- 25-27 Shell Rotella SuperRigsat Trail’s Travel Center, off I-35 in Albert Lea, Minn. For more information, visit Rotella.com.
- 26-28 Top Gun Large Car Shoot Outat Rantoul National Aviation Center, Rantoul, Ill. For more information: TopGunLargeCarShootout.com.
- 27 – 20th annual Semi Truck Pull and Pride/Polishat Broome County Fair Ground, Whitney Point, N.Y. Gates open 7:30 a.m., free registration 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. or call 570-649-5008 or 570-394-3805. Three classes. Semi truck pull starts at about 1 p.m.
- 2-4 Carlisle Truck Nationals,Carlisle, Pa., Fairgrounds. Details can be found at CarlisleEvents.com.
- 2-4 Shiawassee County Fair Truck Showat the Shiawassee Fairgrounds, Corunna, Mich. For more information, visit Facebook.com/ShiawasseeTruckShow.
- 8-11National Brockway Truck Showat the CNY Living History Center and Brockway Truck Museum in Cortland, N.Y. For mor einformation, visit BrockwayTrucks.org.
- 9-10 Waupun Truck-N-Showin Waupun, Wis. For more information, visit WapunTruckShow.com, call 920-324-9985 or find the show on Facebook.
- 9-11 Buckeye Invitational Truck Showat the Clark County Fairgrounds in Springfield, Ohio. Includes the Jim Johnston OOIDA Memorial Convoy benefiting Truckersfinalmile.org. For more information, visit BuckeyeInvitationalTruckSshow.com.
- 16-18 Eau Claire Big Rig Truck Showat the Northern Wisconsin State Fair Grounds, Chippewa Falls, Wis. For more information, visit EauClaireBigRigTruckShow.com.
- 22-24 20th anniversary Great American Trucking Show, Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, Dallas. For more information, visit TruckShow.com.
- 6-7 Big Iron Classic Truck Showand Charity Drive at the Dodge County Fairgrounds in Kasson, Minn. For more information, visit BigIronClassic.com.
- 7 Truck Convoy for Special Olympics, Rosenau Terminal in Rocky View, Alberta.For more information, visit https://www.specialolympics.ca/alberta-letr/events/sat-09072019-0800/truck-convoy-2019
- 13-15 Richard Crane Memorial Truck Showin St. Ignace, Mich. For more info, visit StIgnace.com/carshows.
- 12-13 California Trucking Show, Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, Calif. For more information, visit CaliforniaTruckingShow.com or call 877-281-7758.
- 18-19 Grease, Steam and Rust Association Truck Showat the Fulton County Fairgrounds in McConnellsburg, Pa. For more information, visit gsandr.com.
- 28-31 North American Commercial Vehicle Showin the Georgia World Congress Center, Atlanta. For more information, visit nacvshow.com.
- 5-8 Specialty Equipment Market Association Show, Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas. For more information, visit SEMA.org.