Land Line Now, June 8, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
A bill now being assembled in the U.S. House could increase your minimum insurance requirements by more than 150%. OOIDA is fighting back.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
OOIDA files a brief in support of a lawsuit against California’s AB 5 law. A truck only tax is under consideration in Connecticut. And Washington State says “smoke ‘em if you got ‘em!” Your COVID shots, that is.
II. Anti-masking rule – some courts have it wrong
Many truckers have encountered the federal “anti-masking rule,” designed to prevent drivers from hiding violations from their record. However, many courts and local authorities are incorrectly interpreting the rule.
III. Insurance increase in highway bill
Although the House version of the highway bill does include money for more truck parking, it contains so many provisions harmful to truckers – including a large increase in minimum insurance requirements – that OOIDA plans to fight against the bill. OOIDA has issued a national Call to Action, and we’ll have the details. Also, state lawmakers across the country are trying to do something about protests that disrupt traffic, while Colorado addresses highway funding.
IV. OOIDA fights insurance increase, other ‘poison pills’
The House Transportation Committee is about to put pen to paper on its version of the highway bill – and efforts are underway to remove some provisions, such as an insurance increase, that would be catastrophic to small-business truckers.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Kenly, N.C. That’s located at Exit 106 off Interstate 95. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Learn more about the services offered by CDL Legal on their website or call them at 913-738-4836.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- OOIDA has issued a National Call to Action. Get the details here.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.