Land Line Now, March 26, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Two issues that always come up at truck shows are problems with brokers and lease-purchase plans – so it’s part of today’s virtual MATS.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The U.S. Transportation Secretary acknowledges an OOIDA critique of ELDs. A PPP loan application extension clears Congress, and you’re going to need a bigger truck.
II. Virtual MATS: Lease-purchase, broker problems
Two issues that always come up at truck shows are the ongoing problems with brokers and lease-purchase plans. So our virtual trip to the Mid-America Trucking Show continues with a visit from OOIDA’s business services department. In a normal year, they’d be at MATS right now talking with drivers about issues they’re dealing with on the road. Since they can’t do that in Louisville, they’re doing it with us in Studio A.
III. Virtual MATS: And now, for some fun
During our virtual Mid-America Trucking Show this week, we’ve discussed a lot of serious topics. But Jon Osburn says MATS is also about fun – big shiny show trucks, great music, the newest cool gadget, and of course, all the great people you see there every year.
IV. Virtual MATS: Truckers are always the underdog
Every year, the Mid-America Trucking show takes place in late March, about the same time as the NCAA tournament. Some fans of March Madness are calling this the “year of the underdog.” But for truckers, every year is the year of the underdog, as they pit themselves against forces far larger with far more resources.
Follow Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cell phone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Washington state DOT is seeking input on Interstate 5 Fort Lewis weigh station. Find more information and how to comment here. The study is open March 25 through April 8.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Saturday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in London, Ohio. That’s at Exit 79 off Interstate 70. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also is giving away free protective masks.
- See what OOIDA’s Business Services Department offers here.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.