Land Line Now, March 3, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The ABC test, a Labor Department rule, and the PRO Act are all in motion at the federal level, as OOIDA makes truckers’ concerns clear.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Canada sticks to its June deadline for the ELD mandate. New details on Tuesday’s deadly wreck in California. And it’s Jedi versus Sith versus snow in Minnesota.
II. The man who moved history
Hauling 139 years of history across more than six city blocks through the heart of San Francisco is a tough job, but somebody had to do it. And somebody did. We’ll hear from the man who was behind the wheel when a Victorian mansion went on the move.
III. Ports and freight rates
Backups at the ports are creating a ripple effect, boosting rates on the spot market.
IV. ABC test on federal agenda
The Department of Labor has delayed a rule to clarify who is and is not an independent contractor, while a bill in Congress – the PRO Act – would implement the ABC test on the federal level.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Bill Ater Jr. Petro in Carl’s Corner, Texas. That’s at Exit 374 off Interstate 35E. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also is giving away free protective masks.
- Check out the Scott Heavy Movers, Inc. page on Facebook to see the 139-year-old Victorian house on the move in San Francisco.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- The Department of Labor has delayed a rule to clarify independent contractor status. Read more about the delay and OOIDA’s comments here.
- OOIDA is opposing the PRO Act. Read more about the bill and how it would affect owner-operators.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.