LLN (4/12/19) – A couple of Texas-sized heroes recently saved the life of a suicidal teen. Also, another attempt is underway to address truckers’ medical needs, including access to care facilities. Meanwhile, we’ll hear about resources you can find on the OOIDA website. Jon Osburn offers up warnings for when kids start showing up in truck stops. And a new educational video is intended to help you become more active in changing the industry.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:43 – Two Texas heroes
24:43-39:38 – New medical clinics; website resources; spring warning
39:38-49:22 – New educational video; grassroots efforts
- A video of strong winds blowing a Minnesota State Trooper across a highway during this week’s storm went viral. See for yourself here.
- OOIDA has recognized Lonnie L. Byers of Ozark, Ark., for 49 years of safe, accident-free driving. Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program. And you can read about our latest batch of safe drivers here: OOIDA recognizes drivers for safe driving records.
- In Illinois, a bill awaiting a vote on the House floor would give local governments authorization to collect their own fuel tax. Read more: Illinois bills call for increased state, local fuel taxes.
- The Oklahoma state Senate approved a bill allowing the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority to raise speed limits on some turnpikes. Read about that and other speed limit actions here: Speed limit changes approved, pursued in seven states.
A couple of Texas-sized heroes recently saved the life of a suicidal teen. Mary McKenna talks with the truck driver who came to the rescue, Dwayne Crawford, and Arlington Police Corporal Deric Sheriff, who came up with the life-saving plan.
A number of organizations try to address truckers’ medical needs, including access to care facilities. Another attempt is underway. Mark Reddig talks with Andrew King of the OOIDA Foundation.
- You can get more information about the clinics, including locations, online at ucthealthnetwork.com.
- And find out about OOIDA’s discount with the clinics here.
- Find out more about the OOIDA Foundation.
- Check out what else OOIDA Online Business Education program has to offer.
- See all the classes offered by OOIDA.
We’ll hear about resources you can find on the OOIDA web site from Adrian Hinds of The Association’s Business Services Department.
- Go to OOIDA.com for more information, or to the site’s Education and Business Tools Section.
- Be sure to check out OOIDA Compliance Connection online.
- You can find out more about what OOIDA’s Business Assistance department does, here.
- And you can contact them at 816-229-5791.
Jon Osburn is offering up some well-worn warnings for when kids start showing up in truck stops and other locations where the big rigs go. Mark talks with the man who drives the Spirit of the American Trucker.
- See Jon’s full schedule, “The Spirit” Schedule.
A new educational video is intended to help you become more active in changing the industry. Mark Reddig talks with Jay Grimes of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- You can watch the video here.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.