Land Line Now, May 6, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Police ticket quotas are well known and universally hated by truck drivers and the public. Now, seven states are taking action to end them.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The California Trucking Association will appeal its case against the state’s worker classification law. A Pennsylvania company has been banned from bidding on state road contracts. And do you want to buy a bridge? They’re just giving ‘em away in Colorado.
II. Enough to tackle climate change?
The U.S. DOT wants to know if its current regulations do enough to tackle climate change, the FMCSA Medical Review Board prepares to meet, and the Department of Labor drops a worker classification proposal.
III. Police ticket quotas in states’ sights
Ticket quotas – requiring law enforcement officers to write a certain number of tickets – is something well known to drivers, denied by enforcement agencies, and universally hated by the public. Now, seven states are taking action to end them.
IV. Automated vehicle safety
Do we know enough about the safety and performance of automated vehicles? Or how their introduction would affect the livelihoods of truckers? OOIDA says no, we don’t. Also, preserving flexibility in the hours of service.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The Iowa 80 Truck Stop will offer its first COVID-19 vaccination clinic from 2 to 4 p.m. on Monday. Get the details here.
- Starting Saturday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in Pembroke, N.Y. That’s at Exit 48A off Interstate 90. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- The U.S. DOT is looking for feedback. Find out more here.
- FMCSA’s Medical Review Board has announced its next meeting. Get the details here.
- The U.S. Department of Labor will formally withdraw the rule addressing independent contractor status under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Read more here.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.