LLN (2/18/19) – A new survey says ELDs fail on safety and economics in trucking. Also, we’ll bring you information “what’s hot and what’s not” when it comes to potential trucking regulations. And CVSA issues guidance about rear impact guards.
0:00-9:41 – Newscast
9:41-24:25 – ELD survey
24:25-39:22 – What’s hot, what’s not
39:22-49:08 – CVSA real impact guidance
- An Oregon truck driver faces possible jail time because the Idaho State Police say the load he was hauling was illegal marijuana. For more on the case, click here: Company sues Idaho patrol over hemp and seizure of truck.
- The value of freight crossing between the U.S., Mexico and Canada fell in November – but trucks were still hauling the majority of it. For more on the story, click here: November NAFTA freight experiences largest monthly decrease since July 17.
A new survey says ELDs fail on safety and economics in trucking. Controversy continues to follow the topic of electronic logging devices. Now required in most trucks, the devices are supposed to track hours of service. The OOIDA Foundation wanted to see how they are fitting into the industry. Mark Reddig discusses what they found – and some other topics – with Andrew King of the foundation.
- Find out more about the OOIDA Foundation.
- Check out what else OOIDA Online Business Education program has to offer.
- See all the classes offered by OOIDA online.
- Read the results of the ELD survey.
- If you are interested in the APU grants:
- Go to the Foundation’s EPA grant page.
- Call the Foundation at 816-229-5791.
- March 1 is the registration deadline for OOIDA’s upcoming live business seminar, “Truck to Success.” The class takes place March 12-14 at the Courtyard by Marriott at Exit 21 in Blue Springs, Mo. The seminar is designed for truckers who are about to make the leap into becoming an owner-operator, and for those who have been in the industry to cut costs and become more financially successful.
- Go to the Truck to Success page for more details.
- Read more about the class: Interested in becoming an owner-operator? Take the Truck to Success course.
Which trucking issues are the priorities for our representatives in Washington, D.C.? And how does the change of leadership in the U.S. House of Representatives affect that? Mary McKenna covers that and more with Jami Jones and Mark Schremmer of the Land Line Magazine staff.
- If you’re a trucker not receiving the magazine and you’d like to you can sign up here. It’s free!
- You can also subscribe to the Land Line News Nightcap.
- Check out Land Line Magazine online.
The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance, or CVSA, says a labeling requirement for rear impact guards is not worth enforcing. Mark Reddig covers that – plus some recent meetings with Congressional offices – with OOIDA Director of Safety And Security Operations Doug Morris.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- Learn more about the underride guard issue:
- OOIDA pens letter to Senate opposing underride guard bill.
- Bipartisan bills in House, Senate will require underride guards on trucks and trailers.
- IIHS: All top trailer manufacturers have sufficient underride protection.
- Appellate court rules trailer manufacturer not liable for side underride crash.