Land Line Now, Oct. 12, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Like many in the general public, truckers have trouble getting parts due to supply chain problems; but a trucker shortage was not the cause.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
Winter weather has arrived, creating dangerous driving conditions throughout the Rockies. A 28th person convicted in staged truck crash scheme. And mourning the loss of an industry leader.
II. Glitter, truckers and the Grand Ole Opry
They say that all that glitters is not gold. Well, in some quarters, all that glitters … is Candy Bass. We’ll share a story from the longtime trucker along with fellow OOIDA life member Richard Conaway involving a truck stop chaplain, the Grand Ole Opry, and a bucketful of glitter. Also, an Iowa couple was asked to show off their quarter-century-old rig at a recent truck show. We’ll hear from them – and get some flu prevention advice from Dr. John McElligott.
III. Pennsylvania tries to ease registration process
A Pennsylvania effort is designed to make it easier for truckers to comply with registration rule, while voters in seven Georgia counties will get a chance to decide on taxes for road work.
IV. Supply chain: the reality behind the headlines
Many truckers have already encountered problems getting vital parts for their rigs because of supply chain issues. Unfortunately, that problem is being used to promote some agendas unrelated to the real problems involved. Also, how to deal with an increase in phishing scams.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- You can read Land Line’s 2021 chain law guide here.
- For up-to-the-minute travel conditions in Colorado visit the CDOT website. You also can download the app on the App Store or Google Play.
- If a carrier, shipper, receiver or broker coerces you to violate regulations, document the coercive act and call 888-368-7238 or file a complaint online to the National Consumer Complaint Database.
- Marty Ellis and the Spirit of the American Trucker are at the TA in Fort Bridger, Wyo. That’s at Exit 30 off Interstate 80. Find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Truckers can receive vouchers for free flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccinations. Email the St. Christopher Fund at Julie@TruckersFund.org or call 865-544-8145.
- For tips on preventing the flu, go to the Centers for Disease Control website.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- Get tips on how to avoid various cyber scams or phishing attempts at the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency website.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.