LLN (7/24/19) – SuperRigs takes flight. The Cadillac of show truck events displays the best and brightest working trucks this week. Freight and rates get a bit sluggish as a summer slowdown hits. Diesel prices are down again across the country. And the U.S. Senate has taken the first steps toward creating the next highway bill – and so far, the news is good.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:39 – SuperRigs
24:39-39:35 – Freight and rates sluggish, diesel price down
39:35-49:34 – Early Senate highway bill
- The Massachusetts Attorney General is launching an investigation into Westfield Transport, the company whose driver was involved in a deadly wreck in New Hampshire last month that killed seven motorcyclists. For more on the situation, click here: Massachusetts governor pursues tougher truck driver rules;
- A letter from the U.S. Department of Labor we reported on earlier this week has drawn quite a reaction from the trucking industry. Read more: Department of Labor says companies not required to pay for sleeper berth time;
- The FMCSA is seeking public comments on a plan to develop a second pilot program to allow drivers between the ages of 18 and 20 behind the wheel of interstate commercial vehicles. Comments are due by Aug. 14.
- You can file comments here.
- You can also read Land Line Magazine’s: FMCSA extends comment period on pilot program for under-21 drivers.
- Starting Thursday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at Shell Rotella SuperRigs at the Trail’s Travel Center in Albert Lea, Minn., at Exit 11 off Interstates 35 and 90. Stop in, say hi to Jon and Sassi, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount. See the full Spirit schedule.
SuperRigs takes flight starting tomorrow in Albert Lea, Minn. The Cadillac of show truck events will display the best and brightest among the nation’s working trucks. Mark Reddig talks with Heather Wales of Shell Rotella.
- Find out more about Shell Rotella SuperRigs.
- And read more from Land Line Magazine:
Freight and rates get a bit sluggish as a summer slowdown hits. Terry Scruton gets the details from Mark Montague of DAT, a company that provides market information for owner operators, carriers, brokers and shippers.
- Read more from DAT: With fewer loads available, spot rates fall.
- Visit their website, Dat.com.
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417.
- Be sure to check out their blog.
- Chat with them on Twitter.
- And find out more on the OOIDA Members Edge website.
- You can call OOIDA Members Edge at 866-487-8253.
Diesel prices are down again across the country – a trend that could continue into next week. Terry Scruton offers a detailed update on the price of diesel fuel and crude oil, including a breakdown by region and analysis.
- Here is this week’s price report by Land Line Magazine: West Coast leads drop in average diesel prices, pulling down U.S. average.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles.
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator.
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android Smartphones, click here.
The U.S. Senate has taken the first steps toward the creation of the next highway bill – and so far, the news is good. Mark Reddig gets the ins and outs from Collin Long of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.