LLN (7/31/19) – Freight and rates remain in a bit of a late summer slump, though some bright spots remain. Also, we’ll have a rundown on the competition and winners at Shell Rotella SuperRigs – plus some behind-the-scenes stories. Diesel prices continue to dip, but the oil market gets a boost on dropping inventories and international tensions. And a trucker and member of the OOIDA Board of Directors was on Capitol Hill today covering some of the industry’s top issues with members of Congress and their staffs.
0:00-9:56 – Newscast
9:56 -24:39 – SuperRigs
24:39-39:35 – Freight, rates; diesel prices dip
39:35-49:34 – Trucker’s visit to D.C.
- The American Transportation Research Institute has launched its 2019 Top Industry Issues Survey.
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration announced today that it wants to make its crash preventability determination program permanent. Read more here: FMCSA wants to make crash preventability determination program permanent.
- An invasive insect called the spotted lanternfly is causing havoc for agriculture in the northeastern U.S. A quarantine has been established, and truckers could face fines for not following required procedures.
- For information, you can call OOIDA’s Business Services Department at 816-229-5791.
- You can also find information at OOIDA’s Online Education website.
- Take the required course – Spotted Lanternfly Permit Training for Business – through the PennState Extension.
- If you have questions about the permitting process, email the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are outside of the quarantine area, report any sightings to the Pennsylvania State University Extension online or call 888-4-BADFLY (888-422-3359).
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, Truckers who don’t comply with spotted lanternfly quarantine could face hefty fines.
- Find out more about quarantine training offered by OOIDA, OOIDA Foundation promotes free training for spotted lanternfly quarantine.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are taking some time off. We’ll let you know when they’re back on the road. In the meantime, you can still join OOIDA at a discount. Just call 816-229-5791, ask for membership and mention our show for a $10 dollar discount.
- See the full Spirit schedule.
Shell Rotella SuperRigs gave its blessing to the top show trucks in the land this past weekend. Terry Scruton chats with Land Line Magazine Managing Editor Jami Jones – a SuperRigs judge – to get an update on this year’s competition, including a look at the winners and some stories from behind the scenes.
Freight and rates remain in a bit of a late summer slump, but there are some bright spots. Terry Scruton talks with Peggy Dorf of DAT, a company that provides market information for owner operators, carriers, brokers and shippers.
- Visit the DAT website.
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417.
- Be sure to check out their blog.
- Chat with them on Twitter.
- And find out more on the OOIDA Members Edge website.
- You can call OOIDA MembersEdge at 866-487-8253.
- Find out more, DAT Solutions: Led by summer produce, California freight volumes heat up.
Diesel prices continue to dip, but the oil market gets a boost on dropping inventories and international tensions. Terry Scruton offers a detailed update on the price of diesel fuel and crude oil, including a break down by region and analysis.
- Here is this week’s price report by Land Line Magazine, U.S. diesel prices continue to slide for third week.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles.
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator.
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android smartphones, click here.
A trucker and member of the OOIDA Board of Directors was on Capitol Hill today, covering some of the industry’s top issues with members of Congress and their staffs. Mark Reddig talks with Monte Wiederhold.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at the Fighting For Truckers website.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- You can read related stories from Land Line Magazine: