LLN (5/9/19) – Fuel taxes are at the forefront, as Minnesota officials battle over how to fund the state’s highways, and a plan to tax diesel at the local level passes in Nevada. Also, should the requirement that truckers fill out an employment application be changed? Meanwhile, we’ll have the latest on meal and rest breaks in California. We’ll have information about upcoming truck shows. And Congress continues to work toward on plans for a new infrastructure bill.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:43 – Trucker employment applications
24:43-39:38 – Minn. highway funding; Nev. local diesel tax
39:38-49:22 – Federal infrastructure update
- Dennis Lee Johnson of Clark, S.D., has been recognized by the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association for 37 years of safe, accident-free driving as part of the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program. Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program. And you can read about our latest batch of safe drivers here: OOIDA recognizes drivers for safe driving records.
Right now, any carrier has to have on record each truckers employement application – even if the trucker and the carrier are the same person. FMCSA recently asked the trucking industry if and how the rule should change. Terry Scruton discusses that – as well as the latest on meal and rest breaks in California – with Jay Grimes of OOIDA.
- Read more on OOIDA’s comments on employment applications, OOIDA says self-employed drivers shouldn’t need to file a job application.
- You can also read about the California meal and rest break lawsuit, Court sides with U.S. Xpress on California meal, rest break laws.
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- If you have questions you would like answered, you can call our Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
For some time, Minnesota officials have been debating how to fund the state’s highways going forward. Now, they face a standoff over the plan. Terry discusses that – and a local diesel tax plan in Nevada – with our state legislative expert, Keith Goble.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, Minnesota transportation funding deal at loggerheads.
- You can also read, Nevada Senate approves local diesel tax.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit the OOIDA Legislative page.
An agreement between congressional leaders and the president on funding infrastructure brought some applause – now they just have to make it actually happen. I’ll get the latest from OOIDA Director of Safety and Security Operations Doug Morris.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- 9-11 East Coast Truckers Jamboree, Kenly 95 Petro, Kenly, N.C. For more information, visit Kenly95.com.
- 12 30th anniversary Mother’s Day Truck Convoy benefiting Make-A-Wish Foundation at the Burle Business Park, Lancaster, Pa. For more info, visit http://philadesv.wish.org/ways-to-help/convoy or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 17-19 Great Lakes Big Rig Challenge,Onaway Speedway, Onaway, Mich. For more information, visit OnawaySpeedway.com/big-rig-challenge
- 18 – Greater Cincinnati Chapter of American Truck Historical Societytruck show at Howard Trucking, Fairborn, Ohio. For more information: email@example.com or 937-878-3370.
- 30-June 2 Wheel Jam Truck Showin Huron, S.D. For more information, go to WheelJamTruckShow.com or call 605-354-2809.
- 31-June 2 Memory Lane Car & Truck Showat the Sauk County Fairgrounds in Baraboo, Wis. For more information, visit SaukCountyFair.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608-963-8849.
- 31-June 2 ATHS Convention and Truck Showat the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, Nev. For more info, visit ATHS.org/2019Convention
- 7-8 Joplin Truckers Jamboreeat the Joplin 44 Petro in Joplin, Mo. For more information, go to Joplin44.com.
- 8-9Texas Trucking Show, NRG Center, Houston. For more information, visit TexasTruckingShow.com.