Land Line Now, July 14, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Supply chains are in tatters, so it’s no surprise that spot market volume is double this time last year. We’ll find out what’s behind it.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
Senate Democrats decide to go big on a new infrastructure package. It’s never been easier to give lawmakers a piece of your mind. And the award for best dad joke of the year goes to…
II. Insurance increase could spike road-building costs
The proposed move to drastically increase minimum insurance requirements wouldn’t just hurt owner-operators. The director of government affairs for the National Stone, Sand and Gravel Association says the cost of road construction projects would increase at every level, delivering a major blow to the federal government’s purchasing power.
III. Spot market gets a boost from supply chain problems
Supply chains are in tatters, so it’s no surprise that spot market load volumes are double what they were this time last year. We’ll dig into that – plus what carriers should be looking for as we hit back-to-school shopping season.
IV. A new, better, easier way to speak out
We often talk about how important it is to be involved in the political process, mainly by either calling, writing or emailing your representatives and senators. Now, OOIDA is offering a better and easier way to keep track of issues and make your voice heard.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Strong monsoons are forecast in Arizona this week. You can find real-time highway conditions gov or by calling 511. Tips for driving in a monsoon are available here.
- Iowa Department of Transportation has streamlined the way it gets travel information out. Check out their new website to get all your information in one place.
- Nominations are now open for the 2021 Influential Woman in Trucking award. More information and nomination forms can be found here. Nominations will be accepted through Sept. 1.
- OOIDA is offering a free Truck to Success webinar at 7 p.m. central time July 20. The webinar will cover the cost of operations. You can sign up for the webinar here.
- Starting Friday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the second annual Western Nebraska Truck Show. That takes place in Bridgeport, Neb. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.