Land Line Now, April 7, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The National Transportation Safety Board put speed limiters on its “most wanted” list again. But do those devices help or harm safety?
I. Today’s new with Terry Scruton
A court hears oral arguments in the case against Rhode Island’s truck only tolls. A government safety group wants speed limiters on trucks. And I’ve got a bridge I want to sell you. No, literally.
II. The spot/contract rate inversion
The split between spot and contract freight has been upended by the pandemic and shows no signs of slowing down this year.
III. Hey, electric vehicles – pay up
Truckers and others have long expressed concerns about the failure of electric vehicles to contribute to road funding. Now, 11 states are taking action to fix that.
IV. Speed limiters on ‘most wanted’ list
The National Transportation Safety Board has issued its annual “most wanted” road safety improvements list – and speed limiters are among their goals. So do those devices help, or harm safety?
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- If you are looking to get the one-shot Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, you can find a location through VaccineFinder website. Select only that vaccine and put in a ZIP code, and you can see who is offering it and which locations have it in stock at that moment.
- Starting Friday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Petro in Kingdom City, Mo. That’s at Exit 148 off Interstate 70. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also is giving away free protective masks.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- Read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.