Land Line Now, Jan. 27, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Federal regulators are considering whether they think owner-operators should be employees of if they should be independent contractors.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
A major winter storm continues to pound California. The nominee for transportation secretary moves forward in the Senate. And get paid for napping on the job?
II. Missouri working on towing problems
Missouri is one of the states where efforts are underway to fix problems associated with police-dispatched towing after a crash or other emergency situation. We’ll have an update.
III. Shift in freight rates
A major shift has taken place in the freight market between contract rates and spot rates.
IV. Owner-operators: employees or contractors?
California isn’t the only place where the status of owner-operators is being debated. Federal regulators have spent time recently saying what they think should be the standard for who is an employee and who is an independent contractor.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Friday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in Tonopah, Ariz. That’s at Exit 103 off Interstate 10. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon is also giving away free protective masks.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.