Land Line Now, April 30, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
When Saigon fell 45 years ago, a small Navy vessel played a key role in rescuing thousands of refugees. We’ll have an encore of the tale of the USS Kirk.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Organizers cancel the Great American Trucking Show due to the pandemic; free protective masks for truckers start to arrive; and reading between the lines in Texas – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. The USS Kirk, Part I: A nation faces its end
A Land Line Now special presentation – A Navy vessel, the USS Kirk, played a key role the day Saigon, the capital of South Vietnam, fell, finally ending nearly 30 years of conflict in Vietnam, and causing thousands of refugees to flee for safer shores. We’ll tell the story through the eyes of two truckers who were there.
III. The USS Kirk, Part II: A historic rescue, an uncertain future
The USS Kirk gets an unexpected second rescue mission – and then faces an uncertain future as its crew works to rescue their ship and preserve its history.
IV. Pandemic puts off primaries
The pandemic is causing one state after another to reconsider plans or even delay their primary elections. We’ll explain where it’s happening.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The FMCSA has set up a dedicated web page for updates on when and where it is distributing masks to truck drivers.
- Specialized Carriers & Rigging Association is seeking an extension of an exemption to the 30-minute rest break rule from the FMCSA. You can file comments online at regulations.gov.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA in Marianna, Fla. That’s at Exit 142 on Interstate 10. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Learn more about the USS Kirk Association, the ship and the effort to save it at the Kirk Association website; you can also donate to the effort through the “Save the Kirk – ‘The Journey Home’”
- You can watch a documentary about the USS Kirk titled “The Lucky Few” online.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State