LLN (6/12/19) – Roadcheck last week brings some of the highest rates of the year. Also, the underlying economy could be weaker than the numbers indicate. Meanwhile, diesel prices drop for the third week in a row, and oil prices drop sharply. And OOIDA’s Todd Spencer says the trucking industry is broke, and offers way to fix it.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:42 – Behind the economic numbers
24:42-39:40 – Roadcheck raises rates; diesel price drops
39:40-49:24 – Spencer: Trucking is broke
- Nominations for this year’s Transition Trucking: Driving for Excellence Award close on June 25. To be eligible the truckers must be a legal U.S. resident who is a military veteran and a current CDL holder. They must also be employed by a carrier that has pledged to hire veterans and must have started their career as a CDL driver between January 1st of 2018 and June 20th of this year. The winner will receive a 2019 Kenworth T680 with a 76-inch sleeper, valued at $155,000 dollars.
- Dale Hadland of Beachville, Ontario, has been recognized by the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association for 33 years of safe, accident-free driving as part of the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program. Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program. For more on our latest batch of safe drivers, click here: OOIDA recognizes drivers for safe driving records.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Spokane, Wash. That’s at Exit 272 on Interstate 90. Stop in, say hi to Jon and Sassi, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount. See the full Spirit Schedule.
The underlying economy could be weaker than the numbers indicate. Mary McKenna finds out what’s behind the numbers with an economic outlook from Steve Freidell of Central States Capital Markets.
- For more information call 800-851-6459 or visit their website http://centralstatescapital.com/.
- Read the latest about the trucking economy:
The week of June 3-9, which coincided with International Roadcheck, showed some of the highest rates of the year. Mary McKenna talks with Mark Montague of DAT.
- Read DAT’s weekly report: Spot loads, rates jump during Roadcheck week.
- Visit the DAT website.
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417.
- Be sure to check out their blog.
- Chat with them on Twitter.
- And find out more on the OOIDA Members Edge website.
- You can call OOIDA Members Edge at 866-487-8253.
Diesel prices drop for the third week in a row. Meanwhile oil prices drop sharply. Mary has our weekly update.
- Here is this week’s price report by Land Line Magazine, Diesel prices dip for third week in a row.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles.
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator.
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android Smartphones, click here.
OOIDA’s Todd Spencer, other trucking industry officials and representatives of safety groups spoke out on the state of the trucking industry today in Congress. Mark Reddig finds out what was said by who from Collin Long of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- Read more about the hearing: OOIDA’s Spencer outlines hardships truckers face at House hearing.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.