Land Line Now, March 8, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The American Trucking Association is once again pushing to require speed limiters in trucks, and OOIDA has stepped up to oppose the move.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
OOIDA urges Congress to say no to a worker classification bill. The FMCSA has expanded emergency declarations in six states. And do you want a robot uprising? Because that’s how you get a robot uprising.
II. Four-year effort for towing reform
Getting legislation passed is a hard slog. Case in point: Missouri, where OOIDA has been trying to get a towing reform bill passed for years. We’ll report on the new push to provide more protections for truckers. Also, the recent winter storm in Texas disrupted refinery output. We’ve seen the short-term effects. Now we’ll discuss the possible long-term effects with an expert.
III. Secondary liability coverage – you may need it
Leasing onto a motor carrier? You’re probably going to need secondary liability coverage. We’ll explain what you need to know about that – and what questions you should be asking.
IV. Speed limiter battle warming up
The ATA is once again pushing for speed limiters in trucks, and OOIDA has stepped up to oppose the move; meanwhile, Congress continues to slowly move toward the next highway bill.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Shreveport, La. That’s at Exit 8 off Interstate 20. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also is giving away free protective masks.
- Find out more information about OOIDA’s Truck Insurance.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- To take part in the FMCSA Office of Analysis, Research and Technology’s virtual forum, which takes place from 1 to 5 p.m. EST Wednesday, go to their registration page.
- Truckers can receive vouchers for free flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccinations. Email the St. Christopher Fund at email@example.com or call 865-544-8145.