Land Line Now, May 26, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Brakes are among the top reasons truckers have problems during an inspection, so what should that driver look for in their brakes? Also, more local tickets?
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Hours of service changes go into effect in late September; OOIDA fires back at brokers in a letter to Congress; and how NOT to rescue a stuck truck – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Brakes – finding problems before they are a problem
When a driver is out on the road, it’s up to them to make sure that everything on that truck is in good working order. So during a pre-trip inspection and other times, what should that driver look for in their brakes?
III. Insurance and replacing parts
When parts go bad and need to be replaced, insurance can help – but only so much. If you read through your insurance policy, you will probably come across something known as the betterment clause.
IV. Local governments and tickets
An Ohio lawmaker wants local police to be able to patrol interstates – which some say could lead to more speed traps; meanwhile, a New Jersey effort would give local governments a cut of state trooper ticket revenue.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- To learn more about brake adjustment and related issues, go to the Brake Safe website, or call 1-888-381-2355
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- Find out more information about OOIDA’s Truck Insurance
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have questions, or situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- The FMCSA has set up a dedicated web page for updates on when and where it is distributing masks to truck drivers.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA truck stop in Ogallala, Neb. That’s at Exit 126 on Interstate 80. Stop in, say hi to Jon and join OOIDA at a discount. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.