Land Line Now, May 10, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Efforts like the PRO Act that try to define who is an independent contractor continue at the federal level – we’ll explain where they stand.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
A major U.S. fuel pipeline is brought down by a cyberattack. Canada opts for soft enforcement for the first year of its ELD mandate. And a COVID vaccine you can “count” on
II. The ins and outs of blood pressure
Blood pressure is an important indicator of your health – good or bad. But for truckers, it’s something more. The right numbers can get you a solid two-year medical card, while the wrong numbers could be bad news. We’ll discuss blood pressure control.
III. How do you protect passengers?
Summer is a popular time to invite friends or family into the cab for a trip in the truck. But before you open that passenger side door, you’re going to want to check your insurance policy. We’ll explain about a particular type of coverage you’ll need before taking on passengers.
IV. PRO Act and other efforts to define independent contractors
The Department of Labor has dropped its effort to better define who is an employee vs. who is an independent contractor. However, one bill – the PRO Act – that would go much, much further on the issue remains active in Congress. And it would not be good news for many owner-operators.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The Arkansas DOT is seeking public input about three proposed routes for a new stretch of Interstate 57 from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri State Line. You can find information about the project here.
- The Iowa 80 Truckstop is offering its COVID-19 vaccination clinic May 13-16. Any questions about vaccine appointments should be directed to Hy-Vee Pharmacy at 563-359-3120.
- The Oak Grove 70 Petro will have a walk-in, no appointment clinic from 1 p.m.to 5 p.m. on Thursday, May 20.
- FEMA has made a new option available for finding locations with available COVID-19 vaccines. You can text your ZIP code to 438829 to receive a text with the closest vaccine location.
- Get the details on the vaccine clinics and locations here.
- Starting Wednesday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in Fultonville, N.Y. That’s at Exit 28 off Interstate 90. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Find out more about Occupational Health Systems here.
- You can find out more about the Christopher Truckers Relief Fund here.
- Find out more about OOIDA’s Truck Insurance program here.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.