LLN (3/15/19) – A respected financial magazine has poked some statistical holes in the claim of a “driver shortage.” Also, OOIDA will hold a Town Hall meeting with members at the Mid America Trucking Show to discuss current issues. We’ll have a review of OOIDA’s recent business seminar. Meanwhile, Jon Osburn is back on the road, and prepping for Mid America. And We’ll have tips on hauling fresh food from Mexico.
0:00-9:26 – Newscast
9:26-24:13 – Town Hall set; business seminar
24:13-39:07 – Back on the road; Mexico produce problems
39:07-48:50 – Barron’s pokes holes in “driver shortage”
- The Canada Revenue Agency says anyone doing certain business in certain provinces will have to register with the agency and pay a new fee as part of the Greenhouse Gas Pollution Pricing Act. The fee applies to anyone who produces, imports, or delivers marketable and non-marketable natural gas in Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nunavut, Ontario, Saskatchewan or Yukon.
- Multiple road closures have been reported in Minnesota and Wisconsin due to flooding.
- You can find the latest information on Minnesota roads here.
- And find out more on Wisconsin road conditions here.
- Authorities in Ocala, Fla., are looking for information in an apparent road rage incident that resulted in the shooting of a truck driver. The Ocala Star Banner reports that the incident happened late Thursday night on Interstate 75 near State Road 200. The Marion County Sheriff’s office is asking anyone with any information to call them at 352-732-9111 or visit https://ocalacrimestoppers.com/.
- Swift Transportation could pay as much as $100 million dollars in a class action settlement that involves the misclassification of truck drivers. Read more: Swift agrees to $100 million settlement in misclassification lawsuit.
During this year’s Mid America Trucking Show, OOIDA will hold a Town Hall meeting to discuss current issues with members. Mark Reddig chats with the Association’s executive vice president, Lewie Pugh.
- You can read more about it from Land Line Magazine here: OOIDA to offer Town Hall Meeting at MATS.
OOIDA recently finished a seminar designed to prepare truckers for running on their own authority. Mark discussesd how it went and the next class with Andrew King of the OOIDA Foundation.
- Register for the next Truck to Success.
- Read more about the class:
- Find out more about the OOIDA Foundation.
- Check out what else OOIDA Online Business Education program has to offer.
- See all the classes offered by OOIDA.
Jon Osburn is back on the road, and prepping for Mid America. Mark Reddig talks with the man who drives the Spirit of the American Trucker.
- See Jon’s full schedule, “The Spirit” Schedule.
Hauling fresh food from Mexico can get complex quick. We’ll offer up some tips from Adam Kleinschmidt with OOIDA’s Business Services Department.
- You can find out more about what OOIDA’s Business Services Department does, here.
- And you can contact them at 816-229-5791.
A respected financial magazine has poked some statistical holes in the claim of a “driver shortage.” Mark Reddig talks with Jay Grimes of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- You can read the article here.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.