Land Line Now, April 26, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
A temporary change in the per diem deduction may make it much more valuable – but only in certain cases. We’ll explain who benefits when.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
OOIDA goes on the offensive against forthcoming Highway Bill. Early report on deadly Texas pile-up centers in on treatment measures. And when “better late than never” turns into a $500,000 jackpot.
II. Per diem change a big help – for some
The per diem deduction has been in the news a lot the past few years, and often not in a good way. Now, a temporary change may make it that much more valuable – but only in certain cases.
III. Proposed insurance change bad news for owner-operators
A new piece of legislation would greatly increase your minimum insurance requirements, which would greatly affect your bottom line. We’ll explain the snowball effects the change would have on small-business truckers.
IV. The good, the bad and the ugly in the highway bill
In addition to the president’s infrastructure bill, a highway bill will need to be passed this year – and it could substantially change things in trucking, for better or for worse. We’ll tell you what issues are part of the bill.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has sent a letter to both leaders of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee calling on them to keep truckers in mind when crafting the highway bill. Find out the details here.
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Gary Buchs TA in Bloomington, Ill. That’s at Exit 160 off Interstates 39, 55 and 74. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Visit the MBA Tax and Bookkeeping website for more income tax advice and information.
- Find out more about OOIDA’s Truck Insurance program here.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.