Land Line Now, July 1, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Roadside enforcement will concentrate on speeding violations for the CVSA’s annual Operation Safe Driver Week 2021, which starts July 11.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The House passes a highway bill with bad news for truckers. The FMCSA announces the dates for the next MCSAC meeting. And the perilous pigeon predicament
II. Finally, some information about autonomous vehicles
A federal agency is finally demanding some detailed information about problems with autonomous vehicles, while a deadline is set for entry-level driver training.
III. Fuel taxes change in eight states
If you travel through one of eight states after this weekend, the price at the pump is likely to be different than a short time before, as fuel tax changes go into effect. Meanwhile, North Dakota plans a test of longer, heavier trucks.
IV. Operation Safe Driver week 2021 around the corner
July is going to be a busy month in trucking, mostly for bad reasons. A major enforcement blitz – Operation Safe Driver week 2021 – is a short week or so away, and truck thefts and scam calls are likely to go up. And we’ll review a recent report on motor vehicle deaths.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Police in Utah are seeking the public’s help in finding a suspect who fired shots at a truck on U.S. Highway 40 earlier this week. You can find details of the incident and contact information here.
- OOIDA is offering a free Truck to Success webinar at 7 p.m. central time July 20. The webinar will cover the cost of operations. You can sign up for the webinar here.
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA in Council Bluffs, Iowa. That’s at Exit 48 off Interstates 29 and 80. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Read more about Safe Driver Week here: Speeding an emphasis during 2021 Operation Safe Driver Week.
- Check out OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.