Land Line Now, April 9, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
OOIDA’s Jon Osburn is down to his last few stops in the Spirit truck. We’ll talk about his service and hear from him about current issues.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
OOIDA warns about scam letters that sound like they’re from the FMCSA. A new study suggests Congress needs to allow the commercialization of state run rest areas. And they wouldn’t have dared try this if Charlton Heston was still alive.
II. A Rose for OOIDA’s Osburn
From OOIDA’s Jon Osburn, who dedicated much of his life to service to his fellow truck drivers, to a state that wants to toll trucks to solve its traffic problems, we’ll tell you who in recent news has been good and who’s been bad with some Roses and Razzberries.
III. Ellis prepared to take over OOIDA’s Spirit
Jon Osburn will soon hand the baton over to Marty Ellis, the new OOIDA tour truck driver. Meanwhile, truckers are still talking with him about big issues, be it Wyoming tolls, the PRO Act, or under-21 truckers.
IV. Secretary Pete and a ‘skinny budget’
Earlier today, the secretary of transportation spoke with the press at the White House, and the administration released its so-called “skinny budget.” So what were the topics Pete Buttigieg addressed, and what the heck is a skinny budget?
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- If you get a letter from FMCSA regarding the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse, be careful. It might be from someone else – and it might be legit. If you have questions, call OOIDA’s CMCI department at 816-229-5791.
- Truckers can receive vouchers for free flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccinations. Email the St. Christopher Fund at Julie@TruckersFund.org or call 865-544-8145.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Kingdom City, Mo. That’s at Exit 148 off Interstate 70. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also is giving away free protective masks.
- If you want to offer up your own Rose or Razzberry for our consideration, you can submit those here.
- The truck parking bill now in Congress is HR 2187. OOIDA urges you to call your members of Congress about that bill today at 202-224-3121.
- Marty Ellis and The Spirit will be at the Crossroads Truck Meet April 17 in California, Mo.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.