Land Line Now, Feb. 17, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
OOIDA tells Congress where it let truckers down, and points to where it can help, such as ending efforts to increase insurance requirements.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Old Man Winter just won’t leave us alone. The FMCSA updates its waivers on CDLs and medical certificates. And the legend of the Stockton Kraken
II. OOIDA’s Pugh tells Congress what’s needed
Lewie Pugh of OOIDA is rapidly developing a “tell-it-like-it-is” reputation. Last week, he added to that when he told Congress all the ways they let truckers down during the pandemic, and what the federal government both should have done, and can still do.
III. The cold has affected freight and rates too
Record-setting cold weather is affecting freight and rates with trends that could continue for a couple of weeks.
IV. OOIDA works to stop insurance increase
A new Congress means new faces on key committees that have a huge influence over trucking issues. OOIDA is working with those new members, especially over efforts to increase truckers’ insurance requirements.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Major truck stop chains report dozens of stops closed across Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma with the overwhelming majority being in Texas. Click the links for details about Love’s, TA Petro and Pilot Flying J.
- You can find more information about Wreaths Across America and its Mobile Education Exhibit here.
- Truckers can receive vouchers for free flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccinations. Email Julie@TruckersFund.org or call 865-544-8145.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in San Antonio, Texas. That’s at Exit 581 off Interstate 10. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon is also giving away free protective masks.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.