Land Line Now, Jan. 19, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Indiana joins the list of states considering longer, heavier trucks. And OOIDA says it’s a bad idea. Also, tackling left-lane slowpokes.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
A busy week ahead in Washington, DC. An appeals court says the FMCSA can pre-empt California meal and rest break rules. And a tribute to a truck-eating bridge – Lego style.
II. OOIDA Board election candidates, Part III
We continue our interviews with candidates for the OOIDA Board of Directors with Kurt Plummer. Also, we’ll have information about the legal protections whistleblowers have in trucking.
III. OOIDA Board election candidates, Part IV
Land Line Now completes our interviews with candidates for the OOIDA Board of Directors with Rodney Morine. Also, everyone gets pulled over, but how you handle it can have a big impact on the outcome; we’ll have some advice.
IV. Longer, heavier trucks get thumbs down from OOIDA
Indiana joins the list of states considering longer, heavier trucks. And OOIDA says it’s not a good idea. Meanwhile, lawmakers in that state – and in South Carolina – may make it harder for slower vehicles to park in the left lane.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Several bridges in the Washington, D.C., area are closed for Inauguration Day. You can get the latest information at 511Virginia.org.
- The Indiana Department of Revenue says a new permitting system for oversized and overweight loads in the state will go into effect Feb. 8. You can find more information here.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Wheeler Ridge TA in Arvin, Calif. That’s at Exit 219A off Interstate 5. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon is also giving away free protective masks.
- OOIDA Board of Directors alternate election is under way. Voting is open to life members, senior members, members and retired members who are current on their dues. Votes will be accepted online through Jan. 31.
- You can learn more about the services offered by CDL Legal on their website or call them at 913-738-4836.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.