LLN (8/9/19) – OOIDA marks the anniversary of the court victory over a corrupt state agency – the Tennessee PSC, or Public Service Commission – that preyed on truckers. Also, from a trucking school scam to Pennsylvania’s road funding problems, we bring you Roses and Razzberries.
0:00-10:10 – Newscast
10:10-24:59 – Roses and Razzberries
24:59 -39:14 – Tennessee PSC victory Part 1
39:14-49:07 – Tennessee PSC victory Part 2
- In Forest Park, Ga., police are seeking information on an incident that happened Aug. 4 on Jonesboro Road. Police say a truck carrying a 40,000-pound load veered off the road and went over a retaining wall. First responders pronounced the driver, Antonio Smith, dead at the scene. if you have any information or witnessed the accident, call the Forest Park Police at 404-366-4141.
- The Ohio State Highway Patrol is looking for information on a hit-and-run driver who killed a truck driver at about 1:30 a.m. Aug. 8 on the Ohio Turnpike near milepost 95. The highway patrol says a truck was stopped on the right shoulder with its hazard lights on and the driver was standing outside the vehicle. Another westbound vehicle left the roadway and hit the driver. Police are looking for a white straight truck that was seen in the area of the crash that may or may not have been involved. If you have information, please call the Ohio Highway Patrol at 419-499-4808.
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration wants to take a closer look at the problem of harassment and assaults among female and minority truck drivers, and is planning a study. You can read the proposal and offer your input here. Comments are due Sept. 23.
- TA & Petro seeks nominations for its annual Citizen Driver Award. The award honors truckers for a lifetime of safety, community involvement and service to others. Nominations for next year’s awards are open through Aug. 31. You can find more information and submit a nomination online.
From a trucking school owner who used veterans to scam the government out of $4 million to a newspaper columnist who gets the problems with Pennsylvania’s road funding system, Terry Scruton and Mary McKenna will bring you Roses and Razzberries. If you want to offer up your own Rose or Razzberry for our consideration, you can submit those here, or visit us on Facebook.
- You can read Land Line Magazine’s online edition here, Roses and Razzberries – August/September 2019.
Segments 3 and 4
Today marks the 25th anniversary of a major OOIDA victory against corrupt law enforcement in the Tennessee PSC case. Terry Scruton and Gary Blackburn, who served as OOIDA’s local legal counsel in the case, discuss just how high up the corruption went and how the lawsuit brought it down.
- Check out Land Line Magazine’s story, ‘We kicked ass’.
- Keep up-to-date on things OOIDA is currently working on at the Fighting for Truckers website.