Land Line Now, July 16, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
OOIDA’s Todd Spencer says few of trucking’s safety regulations actually lead to safer roads, and federal regulators should drop those that don’t.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
President Trump scales back environmental hurdles for highway projects; TWIC holders can now get through airports a little faster; and when Touch a Truck becomes Don’t Touch a Truck – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Safety regulations that don’t work need to go, Spencer says
OOIDA’s Todd Spencer says few of trucking’s safety regulations actually lead to safer roads, and federal regulators should drop those that don’t. Also, the acting administrator of the FMCSA has extended the COVID-19 emergency declaration.
III. NC law keeps fuel tax from dropping
A new North Carolina law ensures its fuel tax does not drop anytime soon; meanwhile, a dispute brews over Washington state’s transportation budget.
IV. Do social media groups lead to change?
Social media has become a gathering place for truckers. But how effective are those groups at actually changing things? Also, the latest on the infrastructure bill.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- Shots were fired at a truck driver on Interstate 94 around 1:30 p.m. July 14 near Exit 97. If you have information call the Michigan State Police Marshall Post at 269-558-0500.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Friday, Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the Petro in Gary, Ind., at Exit 9 on Interstates 90 and 84. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also has face masks if you’re in need.
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.