Land Line Now, May 25, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The Insurance Act would increase your required liability coverage by more than 500 percent. And OOIDA is giving the plan a hard “no.”
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
OOIDA says a new highway bill proposal misses the mark on truck parking. A microchip shortage is effecting some ELD manufacturers. And the curious kitten carwash caper.
II. Maine GPS request – is it legal?
We recently covered the story of a compliance officer in Maine who was checking on an OOIDA member’s paper logs and asked for the driver’s GPS for cross-reference. The driver wondered – is that legal?
III. Insurance Act – just say no
An Illinois congressman wants to increase your insurance requirements by more than 500%. OOIDA has issued a call to action, and we’ll have the details. Also, a Texas effort to shield trucking operations from frivolous lawsuits is a step closer to becoming law, while Pennsylvania lawmakers once again try to allow local police to use speed radar.
IV. The highway bill: the good, the bad and the ugly
Truckers are used to disappointment with our representatives in Washington. They do get some things right, but even when they do, their work usually includes something that disappoints people behind the wheel. One Senate committee’s first stab at a highway bill is a good example.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA is encouraging truckers to call the office of U.S. Rep “Chuy” Garcia to oppose the Insurance Act, which would raise requirements for truckers more than 500 percent. You can find out how to do that through the OOIDA Call to Action.
- If you are unable to get a new ELD because of the chip shortage, and need to find out how to proceed, you can go to the FMCSA’s ELD Support Page.
- You can get more information from Road Law here or send an email here.
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Baltimore South TA in Jessup, Md. That’s at Exit 41A off Interstate 95. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.