Land Line Now, May 31, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The destroyer USS Kirk played a huge role in the final days of the Vietnam War, saving thousands who were fleeing the fall of Saigon.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
A global microchip shortage may be delaying new ELD orders. The Senate highway bill ignores the truck parking crisis. And cheese it! It’s the fuzz!
II. USS Kirk and the close of the Vietnam War
In honor of Memorial Day, we’re presenting an encore of our story about a Navy vessel that played a key role the day Saigon, the capital of South Vietnam, fell, finally ending near 30 years of warfare in that nation, and causing thousands of refugees to flee the South for safer shores. It’s the story of the USS Kirk as told through the eyes of a trucker who served as a gunner on the ship, a trucker who was in Saigon at the end, and the ship’s official historian, who was also on board that day.
III. The USS Kirk Part II – protecting the memory
We finish our story about the Kirk, and talk about efforts to save the vessel as a memorial and museum to the end of the Vietnam War.
IV. How anti-trucker issues become reality
A battle is underway to keep speed limiters, higher insurance requirements and more out of the highway bill. However, those things can happen even if the bill doesn’t include them. We’ll explain how.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cell phone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Starting Thursday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the ATHS National Convention and Truck Show. That’s at 4808 S. Valley Pike in Harrisonburg, Va. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Learn more about the USS Kirk Association, the ship and the effort to save it at the Kirk Association website; you can also donate to the effort through the “Save the Kirk – ‘The Journey Home’”
- You can watch a documentary about the Kirk titled “The Lucky Few” online.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.