Land Line Now, Feb. 9, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
North Dakota lawmakers have taken yet another step toward allowing bigger trucks on the state highways, including a test of road trains.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Diesel prices take another big jump. The U.S. Transportation Secretary goes into quarantine. And the cutest car crash ever.
II. Trucking Families Appreciation Week
The pandemic has changed or delayed a lot of things – but the organizers of Trucking Families Appreciation Week are determined to move ahead with the celebration.
III. Bigger trucks get closer in North Dakota
North Dakota lawmakers have taken yet another step toward allowing bigger trucks on the state highways, while Michigan is looking to private money to help pay for needed bridge work.
IV. Failing carrier numbers jump
Last week, OOIDA’s executive vice president told Congress all the ways they failed to help truckers financially during the pandemic. Now the Wall Street Journal reports that nearly three times as many carriers shut down in 2020 compared with the year before – and they cite some of the very things OOIDA brought up.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Truckers Final Mile has seen a surge in requests while one of its primary fundraisers has dried up. To help, find more information here.
- On Feb. 8, a trucker was shot on Interstate 95 in St. John’s County, Fla. The suspect’s vehicle is described as a grey or silver sedan. Anyone with information should call Crime Stoppers at 888-277-TIPS.
- Truckers can receive vouchers for free flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccinations. Email Julie@TruckersFund.org or call 865-544-8145.
- Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker are at the Petro in El Paso, Texas. That’s at Exit 37 off Interstate 10. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon is also giving away free protective masks.
- Find out more about plans for Trucking Families Appreciation week on the Trucking Families Facebook page.
- You can also visit the Brenny Transportation website.
- Find out more about the St. Christopher Truckers Relief Fund here.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.