Land Line Now, Aug. 13, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
A proposed payroll tax cut to combat the economic downturn has left business confused – and may leave the self-employed – including many truckers – out.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Authorities warn of scams targeting truckers and other small businesses in the U.S. as well as Canada; I-70 remains closed for another day in Colorado; and taking stubbornness to a whole new level – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. OOIDA: USMCA trucking provisions now
OOIDA and the Teamsters want the federal government to make the trucking provisions of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement effective as soon as possible. Plus, the latest on the trucking employment picture and hair testing for drugs.
III. NJ looks to block traffic camera fines
An effort in New Jersey would make it virtually impossible to enforce red-light camera fines on residents of that state. Also, Wisconsin’s Supreme Court rules on local road funds.
IV. Payroll tax cut in doubt for some truckers
The president has said he wants to cut the payroll tax to help people through the economic downturn. But many business are confused about how it would work, and the self-employed – including many truckers – may be left out.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- Homeland Security is warning people of an email scam targets loan applicants.
- The Maricopa Association of Governments is asking for trucker input on a survey regarding truck parking in the Phoenix area. You can find more information and take the survey here.
- Time’s almost up for RoadLog ELDs. You can find instructions on how to download your data here. You have through Aug. 14.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Friday, Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the Waupun Truck-n-Show along Spring St. in Waupun, Wis. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also has free face masks and pneumonia and shingles vaccine vouchers.
- Read more about OOIDA’s comments to USITC. Also, trucking employment continues to increase in July. You can find OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues here.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.