Land Line Now, Feb. 27, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Many claims made to promote a federal truck-only vehicle miles traveled tax are outright untrue – we’ll do some myth busting. Also, EPA on truck emissions.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
OOIDA tells Congress not to get FRESH; a trucking company is ordered to pay for violating whistleblower protection laws; and plutonium presents problems for a potential highway project – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. EPA wants more trucker input
The EPA is considering new rules for truck emissions – and the agency is making an effort to get truckers input; also, UPS requests to let learner’s permit holders drive doubles.
III. Washington state carbon tax plan
An effort to create a rule that could lead to significantly higher fuel costs is moving forward in Washington state.
IV. Myth busting on the truck-only VMT proposal
A lot of claims have been made in an attempt to promote a federal truck-only vehicle miles traveled tax – and many of them are outright untrue. We’ll do a little myth busting.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA urges truckers to speak out on speed limiters, automatic emergency braking.
- Starting Friday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in Terrell, Texas, Exit 503 on Interstate 20. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website.
- 12 Women With Drive Summit at the Delta Hotels Toronto Airport and Conference Centre, Toronto. For more information, visit TruckingHR.com.
- 26-28 Mid-America Trucking Show, Kentucky Expo Center, Louisville, Ky. For more information, visit TruckingShow.com.
- 16-18 Truck World at the International Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, near Toronto. For more information, visit ca.
- 24-26 75 Chrome Shop Truck Show, near Exit 329 off I-75 in Wildwood, Fla. For more information, visit 75ChromeShop.com.
- 25 Central California Chapter Antique Truck Show and BBQ at the Amador County Fairgrounds in Plymouth, Calif. Go to ATHS.org or VisitAmador.com/events for information.
- 1-2 Midwest Pride in your Ride Truck and Tractor Show, Tri-State Raceway, Earlville, Iowa. For more information, visit MidwestPrideInYourRide.org.
- 2 Wheat State Antique Truck Show at Newell’s Truck Stop in Newton, Kan. For more information, visit ATHSKansas.org.
- 7-9 East Coast Truckers Jamboree, Kenly 95 Petro, Kenly, N.C. For more information, visit Kenly95.com.
- 10 Mother’s Day Truck Convoy benefiting Make-A-Wish Foundation at the Burle Business Park, Lancaster, Pa. For more information, visit Philadesv.wish.org/ways-to-help/convoy or Mother’s Day Truck Convoy on Facebook.
- 15-17 Great Lakes Big Rig Challenge, Onaway Speedway, Onaway, Mich. For more information, visit OnawaySpeedway.com/big-rig-challenge.
- 28-30 American Truck Historical Society National Convention at the Illinois State Fairgrounds in Springfield. For more information, visit ATHS.org/Convention.
- 4-5 Wheel Jam Truck Show in Huron, S.D. For more information, visit WheelJamTruckShow.com or call 605-354-2809.
- 5-6 Joplin Truckers Jamboree at the Joplin 44 Petro in Joplin, Mo. For more information, visit Joplin44.com/trucker-jamboree/.
- 5-6 Success in Trucking Expo – Indianapolis Motor Speedway Complex. Find more information here: https://www.successintruckingexpo.com/.
- 5-6 Memory Lane Car and Truck Show at the Sauk County Fairgrounds in Baraboo, Wis. For more information, visit SaukCountyFair.com, email email@example.com or call 608-963-8849.
- 6-7 Texas Trucking Show, NRG Center, Houston. For more information, visit TexasTruckingShow.com.
- 12-13 Oak Grove Truckers Jamboree at the Oak Grove 70 Petro in Oak Grove, Mo. For more information, visit OakGrovePetro.com.
- 13 Southeast Iowa Antique and Working Truck Show at the Ottumwa Park and Campgrounds in Ottumwa, Iowa. For more information, visit ATHS.org.
- 20-21 Ohio Vintage Truck Jamboree in Ashland, Ohio. For more information, visit ohvintrkjam.com.
- 6-9 National Brockway Truck Show at the CNY Living History Center in Cortland, N.Y. for more information, visit BrockwayTrucks.org.
- 9-11 Walcott Truckers Jamboree, Iowa 80 Truckstop, Walcott, Iowa. For more information, visit Iowa80TruckStop.com/trucker-jamboree/.
- 17-18 Expedite Expo at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne, Ind. For more information, visit ExpediteExpo.com or Facebook.com/expediteexpo/.
- 17-18 Gulf Coast Big Rig Truck Show, Mississippi Coast Coliseum and Convention Center, Biloxi, Miss. For more information, visit GulfCoastBigRigTruckShow.com.
- 19-21 Great Lakes Truck Show, Cabela’s in Dundee, Mich. For more information, visit GreatLakesTruckShow.org.
- 24-26 Top Gun Large Car Shoot Out at Rantoul National Aviation Center, Rantoul, Ill. For more information, visit TopGunLargeCarShootout.com.
- 7-9 Carlisle Truck Nationals, Carlisle, Pa., Fairgrounds. For more information, visit CarlisleEvents.com.
- 7-9 Shiawassee County Fair and Truck Show, Shiawassee County Fairgrounds, Corunna, Mich. For more information, visit ShiawasseeFair.com.
- 14-16 Big Rig Truck Show at the Northern Wisconsin State Fairgrounds, Chippewa Falls, Wis.
- 22-29 Great American Trucking Show, Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, Dallas. For more information, visit TruckShow.com.
- 16-18 Great Lakes Truck Show, Cabela’s in Dundee, Mich. For more information, visit GreatLakesTruckShow.org.
- 17-20 Richard Crane Memorial Truck Show in St. Ignace, Mich. For more info, visit StIgnace.com/event/annual-richard-crane-memorial-truck-show.
- 24-26 Guilty By Association Truck Show at 4 States Trucks in Joplin, Mo. For more information, visit ChromeShopMafia.com/guilty-by-association-truck-show/.
- 26-27 Truckin’ for Kids truck drag races and show and shine, Irwindale Event Center, Irwindale, Calif. For more information, visit TruckinForKids.org.
- 3-6 Specialty Equipment Market Association Show in Las Vegas. It is the final stop for the International Ratical Rod Build-off/Drive-off. For information on the Ratical Rod Build Off, visit RATicaldriveoff.com. For show information, visit SEMAShow.com.