Land Line Now, Jan. 8, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
President-elect Biden is moving fast on naming his Cabinet appointees. Also, the timeline for confirming the new transportation secretary.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Job numbers are down, but overall unemployment remains the same. A familiar name is tapped to head the U.S. Commerce Department. And keep your pants on, at least for this year.
II. Roses and Razzberries
From a trucker who saved a baby to a turnpike that never saw a toll increase it didn’t like, we’ll tell you who in recent news has been good and who’s been bad with some Roses and Razzberries.
III. Finding restaurants in the food desert
Jon Osburn continues his search for places where truckers can get a sit-down meal, especially along one freight corridor he calls a “food desert.”
IV. Cabinet appointees on fast track
What is the timeline for confirming Pete Buttigieg as transportation secretary? We’ll have that, along with President-elect Biden efforts to name key Cabinet appointees.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The Paycheck Protection Program will reopen for loans starting Jan. 11. You can find more information here.
- The OOIDA Foundation offers a series of free, online classes about the cost of operations. You can find it on the OOIDA Business Education page on YouTube, or OOIDA’s Online Education page on their website.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Sparks, Nev. That’s at Exit 21 off Interstate 80. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon is also giving away free protective masks.
- If you want to offer up your own Rose or Razzberry for our consideration, you can submit those here.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@ooida.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.