Land Line Now, March 18, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Momentum is building to end the biannual time changes associated with daylight saving time, with 30 of the 50 states considering legislation.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Travel restrictions for border traffic aren’t leaving anytime soon. The FMCSA declares yet another driver to be an imminent hazard. And if the cops don’t get ’em, the killer clown will
II. NTSB calls out Tesla, calls for standards
The National Transportation Safety Board wants to see some standards set for vehicle automation – and Tesla Motors is high up on their list. Also, OOIDA makes it views known on some proposed changes to vision standards, and a school bus company wants a lighter touch on drug testing because of the cost.
III. Daylight saving time may get the boot
Momentum seems to be building to do away with the biannual time changes associated with daylight saving time, with 30 of the 50 states considering legislation.
IV. High-tech test a reason for concern
An upcoming project will test autonomous trucks and other related technology – and truckers have reason to be concerned, while an event next week may tell us more about what the Administration’s transportation priorities are.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Friday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Jerry Fritts Jr. Petro in West Memphis, Ark. That’s at Exit 280 off Interstate 40 and Exit 4 off Interstate 55. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon also is giving away free protective masks.
- You can read more about the NTSB letter to Tesla on automated vehicles here.
- Find out where OOIDA stands on FMCSA’s change to vision standards.
- Read more on FirstGroup’s Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse exemption request.
- Read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Justa send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.