LLN (2/21/19) – An internal DOT auditor is investigating the FMCSA’s medical certification program. Also, an effort is underway to update the testing process for commercial driver’s licenses. Utah lawmakers work to extend a truck ban on the Legacy Parkway. Lawmakers want to repeal collection of Illinois’ commercial distribution fee. We’ll have information on upcoming truck shows. And we’ll review efforts toward a national wear and carry handgun permit.
0:00-9:41 – Newscast
9:41-24:25 – CDL testing update
24:25-39:22 – Utah truck ban; Illinois fee repeal
39:22-49:09 – FMCSA audit; handgun update
- Tolls on the Ambassador Bridge – which connects Michigan with Ontario, Canada – are going down. But only for passenger vehicles. Read more here: Ambassador Bridge toll rates decrease for passenger vehicles only.
- An OOIDA Foundation survey shows the problems associated with driver detention time. Read more here: Unpaid detention time negatively affects safety, survey shows.
- The case of a truckload of industrial hemp seized by the Idaho State Police. Read more here: Company sues Idaho patrol over hemp and seizure of truck.
- The Arizona DOT reported that Interstate 40 near Flagstaff was closed in both directions this morning because of snow and ice. Online cameras (at left) at the time showed a long line of trucks parked along both sides of the highway;
- Terry Scruton reported that the North Carolina Department of Transportation is holding a series of open houses to get public feedback on its 10-year transportation plan. You can find a full list of those open houses here.
The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators has begun the process of updating the testing process for commercial driver’s licenses. Terry Scruton talks with OOIDA Executive Vice President Lewie Pugh and Director of Safety and Security Operations Doug Morris about what, specifically, they want to change.
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- If you have questions you would like answered you can call our Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
Utah lawmakers are working to extend a truck ban on the state’s Legacy Parkway. Mary McKenna covers that – plus efforts to repeal collection of Illinois’ commercial distribution fee – with our state legislative expert, Keith Goble. Also, Mary and Mark Reddig will offer up information about upcoming truck shows on the Land Line Now Industry Calendar.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, Will Utah’s Legacy Parkway soon be open to all trucks?
- You can also read Land Line Magazine’s, Illinois bills cover truck fees, restrictions, firearms.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit the OOIDA Legislative page.
An internal DOT auditor is looking into the FMCSA’s medical certification program, with an eye toward fraudulent certificates. Mark Reddig talks with OOIDA’s Doug Morris to get the low down on that – and find out about efforts toward a national wear and carry handgun permit.
- Read more about the audit here: OIG to conduct audit into FMCSA’s medical certificate program.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.