LLN (4/17/19) – Mother Nature is still playing havoc with freight trends, meaning lower rates for vans and reefers. Also, we’ll introduce you to some of the newest recipients of the OOIDA Mary Johnston Scholarship. Meanwhile, the price of diesel jumped 3 cents as U.S. stockpiles of crude fell 1.4 billion barrels. And the Washington state DOT is working on a plan to increase truck parking near North Bend, Wash.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:43 – OOIDA Mary Johnston Scholarship
24:43-39:38 – Lower van and reefer rates; diesel price up
39:38-49:22 – Parking plan for North Bend, Wash.
- Starting Thursday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA truck stop in Baldwin, Fla. That’s located at Exit 343 off Interstate 10. Stop in, say hi to Jon and Sassi, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount. See the full Spirit Schedule.
- OOIDA has recognized Mark Andrew Donaldson of Virden, Ill., for 22 years of safe, accident-free driving. Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- The McDowell County Sheriff’s office is looking for a suspect in a road rage incident on Interstate 40 in North Carolina. The incident happened Monday afternoon near exit 86 and resulted in the driver of the car firing shots at the truck. You can read the full release and find contact information here.
- The truck driver at the center of a case in Idaho involving a disputed load of industrial hemp pleaded not guilty to felony drug trafficking charges in District Court on Tuesday. Read more here: Hemp-hauling driver pleads not guilty, gets October court date.
Over more than 20 years, the OOIDA Mary Johnston Scholarship fund has helped more than 100 students further their education by helping pay for college or trade school. Today, Mary McKenna will introduce you to some of the newest recipients.
She’ll also talk with OOIDA’s Lewie Pugh, head of the Association’s Scholarship Committee, and Andrew King, who helps administer the program.
- You can find out more about the OOIDA Mary Johnston Scholarship Program.
Mother Nature is still playing havoc with freight trends. They slipped again for vans and reefers. Mary McKenna talks with Peggy Dorf of DAT.
- Read the weekly report from DAT: No spring break for spot van, reefer rates.
- Visit the DAT website.
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417.
- Be sure to check out their blog.
- Chat with them on Twitter.
- And find out more on the OOIDA Members Edge website.
- You can call OOIDA Members Edge at 866-487-8253.
The price of diesel jumped 3 cents as U.S. stockpiles of crude fell 1.4 billion barrels. Mary has our weekly update.
- Here is this week’s price report by Land Line Magazine, Diesel prices go up 2.5 per gallon on average in the U.S.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles.
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator.
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android Smartphones, click here.
The Washington state DOT is working on a plan to increase truck parking near North Bend, Wash., a huge problem area for truckers. Mark Reddig talks with OOIDA Manager of Government Affairs Mike Matousek.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.