Land Line Now, April 23, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
With some alarmingly low freight rates being offered to truckers, the question arises – is it that bad, or is someone trying to rip off truckers?
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Houston launches an investigation into trucker claims of wage theft; new data shows the impact of COVID-19 on trucking; and truckers can now make a run for the border thanks to Taco Bell – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Pandemic affecting state efforts
State governments continue to be disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic. Also, some new Idaho laws will affect truckers.
III. Battery and alternator
An internal combustion engine will not even start without two vital parts that work together – the alternator and the battery. We’ll have some advice.
IV. Low freight rates – bad economy, or rip off?
With some alarmingly low rates being offered to truckers, the question arises – is it that bad, or is someone taking advantage of the situation to rip off truckers? Also, the debate over the next stimulus package.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email email@example.com.
- The U.S. Department of Energy has filed a request for a renewal of its exemption to the 30 minute rest break rule in the hours-of-service requirements. You can view the request and file comments online.
- The North Carolina Department of Transportation is hosting an online forum to discuss a program to use drones to deliver medical supplies and food around the state. The online public forum will be from 1 to 3 p.m., Friday, April 24. You can find more information online at ncdot.gov.
- Find out more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA in Cartersville, Ga. That’s located at Exit 296 on Interstate 75. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- You can find more on truck repair and maintenance on the TA Petro website. If you have questions for Kevin and Jerry, email them at AskTATruckService@ta-petro.com.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website.
- Taco Bell will offer truckers a free lunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. this Friday and next, May 1st. It includes a Crunchwrap Supreme Bean Burrito, Cinnamon Twists, a Baja Blast and tortilla chips. The lunches are offered first come, first-served. The headquarters is located at 1 Glen Bell Way in Irvine, California.