Land Line Now, Oct. 22, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Is a leased-on owner-operator a contractor or employee? Truckers have a chance to express themselves to federal regulators on the issue.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The Labor Department rejects a request for more time to comment on a worker classification rule; more roads close as a result of a Colorado wildfire; and do we really need to add another hour to this year?
II. Contractor or employee – Labor Department wants your view
Are leased-on owner-operators contractors or employees? Truckers have a chance to express themselves to federal regulators on the issue. Also, earlier this year, protests broke out over the issue of broker transparency. Now, truckers have a chance to tell federal regulators directly what they want to see on that issue.
III. Alabama debates license plate readers
An Alabama bill would spell out how license plate readers can be used there, while Pennsylvania considers whether to allow electric-powered semis to weigh more than others.
IV. Post-accident investigations
What happens when you are involved in a significant collision in your truck? Post-crash investigations have become an issue for some truckers. We’ll have some advice.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- Wildfires keep roads closed in Colorado. Find the latest road information here.
- OOIDA web conferencing Truck to Success course is scheduled for Oct. 26-28.
- Starting Friday, Jon Osburn and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the TA in Paulsboro, N.J., located at Exit 18A off Interstate 295. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here. Jon Osburn is also giving away free protective masks.
- FMCSA is hosting a live broker transparency listening session on Oct. 28 regarding property carriers and brokers. You can register for the event here.
- UPS ELDT exemption comment period ends Oct. 23. You can submit comments here.
- The comment period is almost up on the Department of Labor’s clarification to the worker classification rule. You can submit comments here through Oct. 26.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.