LLN (10/17/19) – It’s your last chance on hours of service. Comments are due Monday on the proposed changes to the regulations. A request is made for an override of state meal and rest break rules. A company looks for an exemption to split sleeper berth rules. California’s governor wants to divert billions in highway money. As the holidays approach, we face a higher chance of cargo thefts. And an update: what are the chances for a new highway bill any time soon?
0:00-10:10 – Newscast.
10:10-24:14 – Hours of service; meal and rest override request; split sleeper request.
24:14-38:43 – California highway fund diversion; bulletin board.
38:43-48:22 – Chances for new highway bill; higher risk of cargo theft.
- The OOIDA Foundation has EPA grants to pay for 25% of the cost for an auxiliary power unit. Drivers need to have a model year 1996 through 2006 truck, and be based in Kansas, Missouri, Iowa or Nebraska. OOIDA membership is not required, but OOIDA members can get discounts on EPA-approved units. Go to the OOIDA Foundation website for details.
- A former CDL tester with the Mississippi Highway Patrol has been sentenced to two years in jail for her role in a CDL fraud scheme. Read more here: Mississippi CDL tester sentenced for fraud scheme.
It’s your last chance on hours of service – comments are due Monday on the proposed changes to the regulation, but you still have time to make your voice heard. Terry Scruton talks about that – plus a request for a federal override of state meal and rest break rules, and a company looking for an exemption to split sleeper berth rules – with Jay Grimes of OOIDA’s Washington, DC, office.
- Read OOIDA’s full comments here.
- You can file your comments here. Comments are due Oct. 21.
- Find more information on the HOS rulemaking here.
- You can read more from Land Line Magazine:
California’s governor has called for diverting billions in highway money to other parts of the state’s budget. Mary McKenna gets an update from our state legislative experts, Keith Goble and Mike Matousek.
- Read more about the California situation here: California governor orders fuel tax revenue diversion from roads.
- You can also view news for each state here: Daily News by State.
Mary and Terry will bring us some important notices from the Land Line Now Community Bulletin Board.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
The talk so far this year in Congress is that a new highway bill is in the offing. However, with the level of partisan conflict on Capitol Hill and an election year around the corner, some think it’s unlikely to be accomplished. Mark Reddig gets an update from OOIDA Director of Safety and Security Operations Doug Morris.