Land Line Now, June 22, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Some carriers are pushing truckers to falsify ELD information to dodge hours-of-service limits – but the driver takes the heat at roadside.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
A suit against California’s worker classification law could be headed to the Supreme Court. Diesel prices leveled off after a couple of weeks of increases. And police couldn’t make an arrest because they needed s’more evidence
II. Carriers try to coerce drivers into dodging ELD limits
Some carriers are pushing truckers to falsify ELD information to dodge hours-of-service limits – but the driver takes the heat at roadside. Also, every single day someone calls OOIDA and asks about lease-purchase plans. And most of them who try them end up on the losing end.
III. Louisiana lawmakers want more road money
Louisiana lawmakers want to use the sales tax on vehicle purchases to help fund roads, while six states are eyeing changes to the rules for ticket cameras.
IV. ELD data, higher insurance minimums and more – a lousy highway bill
A severely anti-trucker highway bill is close to a vote on the floor of the U.S. House. It includes provisions regarding using ELD data, minimum insurance requirements and restricting personal conveyance. And advocates for truckers are in high gear trying to either fix it, or stop it.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- If you drive Interstate 90 from Washington State to Minnesota on a regular basis, the Northwest Passage Freight Task Force wants to hear from you. Get more information and take the survey here. Deadline is June 25.
- OOIDA is urging truckers to call their representatives and ask them to oppose HR3684. The bill contains numerous anti-trucking provisions, including one that would raise minimum insurance requirements by more than 160%. Call your representative today at 202-224-3121.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Wednesday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Idella M. Hansen Petro in North Little Rock, Ark. That’s at Exit 161 off Interstate 40. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- If a carrier, shipper, receiver or broker coerces you to violate regulations, document the coercive act, then call 888-368-7238 or file a complaint online to the National Consumer Complaint Database.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.