LLN (8/7/19) – An Idaho state representative says she has a very personal reason for backing truckers everywhere. Also, freight trends are mixed, with a slowdown for the first few days of the month. Diesel prices continued a slow and steady decline. An oil expert offers his take on crude price trends. And left unresolved in the new highway bill is how to pay for it, and an attempt to divert funds away from roads.
0:00-10:10 – Newscast
10:10-24:59 – State representative supports truckers
24:59 -39:14 – Freight trends; diesel prices; oil price trends
39:14-49:07 – How to pay for a new highway bill
- The Minnesota Department of Transportation is conducting a study on truck parking in the state.
- Find more information on the study or submit your own comments here.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, Minnesota DOT seeks truckers’ input on parking.
- OOIDA is kicking off a new educational series titled “Shift Into Success” at the 2019 Great American Trucking Show in Dallas. The first class, covering the cost of operations, takes place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Aug. 22 in room C147 at the convention center. It’s free, and you don’t have to be an OOIDA member.
- For more information, call the OOIDA Foundation at (816) 229-5791.
- You can also find out more from Land Line Magazine:
Idaho State Rep. Ilana Rubel has been a vocal defendant of three truck drivers facing felony drug charges for hauling loads of industrial hemp in that state. But beyond the headlines, she has a very personal reason for supporting those truckers and truckers everywhere. Terry Scruton and Land Line Magazine’s Greg Grisolano get the full story.
- Rubel and her family were rescued by a pair of truckers along Interstate 80 in Wyoming back in 2000. If you think you might know who they are, call OOIDA’s main number at 816-229-5791 and ask for Terry Scruton or Greg Grisolano.
- You can read Greg’s magazine story, ‘I can never do enough to thank them.’
Trends are mixed, with a slowdown for the first few days of the month. Mary McKenna covers that, plus an attractive tri-haul in the Northeast, with Mark Montague of DAT. DAT provides market information for owner operators, carriers, brokers and shippers.
- Visit the DAT website.
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417.
- Be sure to check out their blog.
- Chat with them on Twitter.
- And find out more on the OOIDA MembersEdge website.
- You can call OOIDA MembersEdge at 866-487-8253.
Diesel prices continue a slow and steady decline. Mary McKenna covers that, and talks with Tom Kloza of the Oil Price Information Service to get his take on trends in the price of crude.
- Here is this week’s price report by Land Line Magazine, Average U.S. diesel price drops a fraction of a cent, EIA says.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles.
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator.
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android smartphones, click here.
We have the first step in the new highway bill, courtesy of a Senate committee. But still unresolved is how to pay for it – and now, we have a new issue with highway funds being diverted away from roads. Mark Reddig finds out what’s going on from Bryce Mongeon of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.