Land Line Now, May 5, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
With truckers up in arms about brokers, what is OOIDA doing, and what can truckers themselves do? Also, states change rules for absentee voting.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
A trucker at the D.C. protest says action is needed on rates; a driver is shot at in Detroit; and the Fast and the Furious 5-year-old – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Driver speaks out on autonomous trucks
Recently, the CBS program “60 Minutes” offered a report on driverless trucks. Among those they interviewed was a group of four truckers, one of whom was Linda Allen, a member of the OOIDA Board. Also, if you travel down Interstate 49, you might notice a woman in a white tent across from a local truck stop. That’s Gaynell Williams, and she’s offering truckers free, homemade baked goods.
III. States change absentee voting rules
More than 20 states have revised their rules for absentee voting; meanwhile, a public vote is set on Portland, Oregon’s gas tax.
IV. Brokers – how do we solve truckers’ issues with them?
Truckers are up in arms, to say the least, about brokers. We’ll discuss what OOIDA is doing, and what truckers themselves can do.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The FMCSA has set up a dedicated web page for updates on when and where it is distributing masks to truck drivers.
- Michigan State Police report shots were fired at a truck driver around 6:20 a.m. this morning near Detroit. Anyone with information should call the Detroit Metro South Post at 734-287-5000
- Find out more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Wednesday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Petro in Beaumont, Texas. That’s at Exit 848 on Interstate 10. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- You can watch the “60 Minutes” report on driverless trucks, or read a transcript here.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.