Land Line Now, June 10, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The House Transportation Committee’s highway bill would change a lot in trucking, most of it for the worse. We’ll have complete coverage.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
A proposed highway bill brings bad news for trucking. Another infrastructure proposal is on the table. And the exciting adventures of the emu escape artist.
II. Highway bill will affect many regulations
We’ve long said that all regulations – good and bad – start with Congress. The House Transportation Committee’s proposed highway bill would affect several, including personal conveyance, sleep apnea testing and automatic emergency braking.
III. OOIDA Call to Action: highway bill
The House version of the highway bill has a host of anti-trucker provisions. But it’s not a done deal yet, and truckers need to speak out. OOIDA has issued a national Call to Action. Also, fines for failing to remove snow and ice from atop your rig are a step closer to becoming law in Pennsylvania; meanwhile, Montana will allow motorcycles to use lane-splitting, while Oregon’s governor says “no” to the practice.
IV. Analysis: Why we are where we are on highway bill
When all was said and done, what exactly did end up in the House version of the highway bill, and what would those provisions mean to truckers? And what happens next? We’ll provide a wrap-up and some analysis.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has issued a National Call to Action. Get the details here.
- Starting Friday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Petro in Columbia, S.C. That’s at Exit 5 off Interstate 77. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Large trucks are the exception in a report showing an increase in traffic fatalities in 2020. Find out more here.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.