(LLN 9/13/19) – A great way to share your thoughts on trucking issues while having your lawmaker’s undivided attention is a one-on-one conversation in the cab of your truck. We’ve got details of a recent ride-along between OOIDA member Randy Martin and his Pennsylvania congressman, Republican Lloyd Smucker. Keeping your truck running is vital. Learn about some overlooked items in your truck’s regular maintenance. And the so-called driver shortage and younger interstate drivers – make sure your lawmakers know the truth on both issues.
0:00-10:11 – Newscast
10:11-24:45 – OOIDA member Randy Martin talks issues during a ride-along.
24:45-38:51 – Learn about some often-overlooked maintenance items to keep your truck humming
38:51-48:20 – Make sure your lawmakers know the truth about the so-called driver shortage.
- September is prime season for the invasive insect called the spotted lanternfly to lay eggs, and officials are urging truckers who haul in the northeastern U.S. to check their rigs for any egg mass. Failing to follow required procedures could cost you a big fine.
- For information, you can call OOIDA’s Business Services Department at 816-229-5791.
- You can also find information at OOIDA’s Online Education website.
- Take the required course – Spotted Lanternfly Permit Training for Business – through the PennState Extension.
- If you have questions about the permitting process, email the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are outside of the quarantine area, report any sightings to the Pennsylvania State University Extension at https://extension.psu.edu/have-you-seen-a-spotted-lanternfly or call 888-4-BADFLY (888-422-3359).
- Read more from Land Line Magazine: Spotted lanternfly quarantine: egg-laying season begins in September.
Everyone has their own standard maintenance list for their truck. But some items are frequently overlooked and might get missed. Our producer Barry Spillman and Host Mark Reddig talk with Bryan Martin of the Chrome Shop Mafia.
- Be sure to check out their websites Chrome Shop Mafia and 4 State Trucks.
- To call the shop, dial 888-875-7787 or 417-624-3054.
- If you have a question you’d like to ask Bryan about truck mods or technical issues, you can email him at BossManonLandLineNow@chromeshopmafia.com or leave a message on our listener comment line at 800-324-6856.
Mary McKenna chats with OOIDA member Randy Martin about his recent ride-along with Pennsylvania Congressman Lloyd Smucker, and she’ll delve into some of the issues they discussed while he had his lawmaker’s undivided attention. Jay Grimes of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office helped organize the trip. Plus, Mary chats with Congressman Smucker to get his reaction.
- You can read more about the ride-along from Land Line Magazine: Trucker takes lawmaker on ‘show and tell’ ride-along.
The driver shortage problem is a myth that continues to circulate. Mary McKenna and Bryce Mongeon with OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office talk about it. They’ll also have the latest on the DRIVE-Safe Act, which would establish a program for under-21 interstate drivers, and how important it is for truckers to let their lawmakers know the truth on both issues.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- Read more on the driver shortage myth:
- And find more on the DRIVE-Safe Act: