LLN (2/19/19) – Fuel tax would pay for electric cars in Vermont. Also, OOIDA officials discussed top industry issues at a meeting with FMCSA. And what new members of Congress are saying about trucking’s top issues.
0:00-9:41 – Newscast
9:41-24:25 – OOIDA meets with FMCSA
24:25-39:22 – Vermont fuel tax for electric cars
39:22-49:09 – Congressional reaction to trucking issues
- Pennsylvania police are looking for a truck that may have been involved in a wreck Friday, Feb. 15, on the Northeast Extension of the Turnpike near Penn Forest Township. A tire and axle from a Caterpillar forklift became airborne and struck the windshield of a Ford Explorer. Police think the forklift was on the back of a white tractor-trailer that was heading north on I-476. The trailer was a flatbed hauling three yellow and black forklifts. The truck appears to be a Volvo in traffic cam pictures posted online. Also, it has a skull-type decal on the right side. Anyone with information is asked to call the Pennsylvania State Police at 800-245-5640.
- Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont may back away from supporting truck-only tolls. Read more here: Connecticut governor retreats from stance on truck-only tolls.
- The OOIDA Foundation released two white papers earlier this month stating that the so-called driver shortage is a myth.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine: OOIDA Foundation releases research on ‘driver shortage’.
- Download the white papers at the OOIDA Foundation website.
- The FMCSA is granting an ELD exemption for trucker hauling fireworks. See Land Line Magazine’s coverage: FMCSA grants ELD exemption to fireworks haulers for July 4 2019, 2020 seasons.
OOIDA has seen reason for optimism with the new leadership at the FMCSA. Recently, the Association’s executive vice president, Lewie Pugh, met with Administrator Ray Martinez and others from the agency about some of the most important topics to truckers. Terry Scruton has an update.
A Vermont lawmaker proposes raising your fuel taxes to help low-income people purchase electric vehicles. and his bill would also provide the infrastructure to support them. Mary McKenna gets an update from state expert Keith Goble. Also, Mary and Mark Reddig offer up some important notices from the Land Line Now Community Bulletin Board.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, Vermont bill would raise fuel taxes to aid electric vehicle purchases.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit the OOIDA Legislative page.
OOIDA’s D.C. staff are meeting with new members of the House Transportation Committee. And the topics include some of the hot button issues in the industry. Mark Reddig finds out who they’ve talked with and what their reaction was from Nile Elam of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.