Land Line Now, May 18, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Fuel tax increases are pondered in two states as a U.S. Senator pushes to tax trucks only by VMT, or vehicle miles traveled, nationwide.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
OOIDA urges fair funding mechanisms for infrastructure. Fuel prices jump in the wake of the pipeline shutdown. And the trucker and the trash pandas.
II. Summer heat and your tires
The excessive heat that comes with summer doesn’t just damage and transform your tire. It can also lead to fires. We’ll have information about how to best avoid “thermal events,” and what to do if you find yourself face-to-face with a burning tire.
III. Two states could increase fuel taxes
Louisiana lawmakers continue to discuss raising the fuel tax – or some other method of bringing in more highway funding – while Missouri appears to be ready to raise its tax at the pump.
IV. Senator prefers truck-only VMT to more fuel tax
The big question for years on highways is how we will pay for them going forward? As the debate continues, one member of the U.S. Senate says he wants to tax trucks only to make up a part of the shortfall.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The Arkansas DOT has a webpage for the latest information on the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River. You can find the page here.
- Get the details on vaccine clinics and locations here.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Wednesday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Denis Litalien TA in Greenland N.H. That’s at Exits 3 and 3B off Interstate 95. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- For questions about commercial vehicle tires, you can go to the Michelin Commercial Truck Tire website.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.