Land Line Now, May 27, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The long, slow climb continues for freight rates, but a difficult road lies ahead. Also, the broker vs. trucker battle over transparency continues.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
A toll road organization seeks $9.2 billion in recovery money; cargo thefts were up in the first quarter; and why did the geese cross the road? – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. A futuristic approach to the past
A truck show that embraces the past is now looking to the future because of the coronavirus. Also, two OOIDA members do a series of interviews for a national television program detailing their recovery from the virus, and we explain how the St. Christopher Fund helped them and others.
III. Freight rates face a long recovery
The long, slow climb continues for freight and rates, but a difficult road lies ahead.
IV. OOIDA fires back at broker group
After a brokers’ organization fired a salvo at truckers over transparency issues, OOIDA has gone to Congress to make the case for requiring brokers to follow regulations that have long been on the books.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- The FMCSA has set up a dedicated web page for updates on when and where it is distributing masks to truck drivers.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA truck stop in Ogallala, Neb. That’s at Exit 126 on Interstate 80. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- The American Truck Historical Society annual convention will be held virtually. You can find out the details here.
- You can get more information about the Christopher Truckers Relief Fund on their website.
- Get more information about the freight market.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.