Land Line Now, Nov. 5, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
FMCSA nominee Meera Joshi told the OOIDA Board that fixing problems in trucking depends on improving working conditions for truckers.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
The Secretary of Labor suggests vaccine mandates may not apply to truck drivers. The next MCSAC meeting will focus on supply chain problems and driver retention. And there are times when you probably should answer that call from an unknown number.
II. Classic trucking movies
Many of us remember the 1970s, when truckers were heroes both on the road – and on major Hollywood films. We’ll hear about some of the classic trucking movies from superfan Bryan Martin of the Chrome Shop Mafia.
III. Problems at the ports
Marty Ellis and an old friend have been getting an earful from truckers about the situation at the ports. And that includes everything from lousy chassis and stacking limits to terminal efficiency and the proposed 24-hour schedule.
IV. FMCSA nominee wants focus on helping drivers
Yesterday, the nominee to head the FMCSA – Meera Joshi – held a teleconference with the OOIDA Board of Directors to discuss trucking issues – including improving working conditions for truckers. We’ll have an overview of what was discussed.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The supply chain crisis and driver retention are on the agenda at the MCSAC meeting scheduled for Dec. 6-7. The meeting is open to the public, but you must register on the FMCSA website by Nov. 29.
- The OOIDA Truckers for Troops campaign starts Monday, Nov. 8 and runs until the start of business Monday, Nov. 15. You can join OOIDA or renew your membership for a discounted rate, and10% of that will go toward care packages for troops and to support the Veterans Community Project. OOIDA will match that money.
- Starting Saturday, Marty Ellis and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the Ingrid Brown Petro in Oklahoma City. That’s at Exit 127 off Interstate 40E and Exit 154 off Interstate 40W. Find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Visit Chrome Shop Mafia and 4 State Trucks. If you have a question you’d like to ask Bryan about truck mods or technical issues, you can email him at BossManonLandLineNow@ChromeShopMafia.com.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.